Undergraduate Research Opportunities

Directed Undergraduate Research (ECON 499) with UH-Manoa Economics Faculty

Are you interested in working with a faculty member on a research project for course credit? Several department faculty would like to have undergraduate students participate in their research projects. Students receive up to three credits in ECON 499 (Directed Research) for their involvement in the project and are not paid. To participate in a project, you must have a 3.0 GPA and be either an economics major or minor in good standing. The University of Hawaii College of Social Sciences Undergraduate Research web site has a listing of most faculty research projects. Credits from ECON 499 satisfy elective requirements for majors and minors in economics. Please contact relevant faculty prior to the start of the semester for which you would like credit.

If you find a research project that interests you, please directly contact the professor directing the project. The professor will provide you with a one-page outline of the project, your responsibilities in the project, and requirements for course credit. ECON 499 is a variable credit course (1-3 credits) and is graded A-F. Some research projects may have minimum qualifications that exceed the minimum qualifications listed above. Please remember that a professor has no obligation to accept a student to participate in a research project. Questions? Contact Professor John Lynham at lynham@hawaii.edu.

Undergraduate Research Awards from UH

University Research Council provides a number of research-related awards for undergraduate students. Check out their website here.