of Economics > Graduate Program > Student Learning Outcomes
Student Learning Outcomes
MA Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of economic theory and analytical and quantitative tools appropriate for applied analysis. These quantitative tools include but are not limited to experience with programming in Stata and/or SAS as well as experience analyzing and interpreting programmed output.
- Students will be able to understand, use, and analyze economic data.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to ask a well-formulated question, analyze the problem and draw reasoned policy conclusions.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to write a professional report and present the results orally.
- Students will be well prepared for a position in their field that directly uses their MA training or for admission to a professional program or Ph.D. program in their field.
Ph.D. Student Learning Outcomes
The goal of the Ph.D. program is to train professional economists for careers in teaching, research and policy analysis.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of economic theory and analytical and quantitative tools.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to understand, integrate, and apply the various tools, concepts, and principles of economics and quantitative methods to analyze and to develop solutions to economic problems in a clear and concise written form.
- Students will demonstrate a "frontier" level competency and familiarity with the literature in the student's perceived specialty area.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to conduct independent and original research in economics.
- Students will have the skills necessary to qualify for teaching positions at the university and college levels, and for research positions in the public or private sector.
- Program graduates will be able to obtain employment that uses the level of expertise obtained in the Ph.D. program.
- Students will complete these goals according to the timeline described in the graduate program guidelines.